Sunday, March 2, 2008

This Disc is Copy Protected

This is cross posted with another bloggy thing I do, so I'm only ripping off my own ideas.

I bought Across the Universe on dvd 2 days ago. I've been wanting to own this movie since I read an article about it 3 months before it opened out here. The movie won't play in my dvd player, which is about 4 years old; but it will play in my computer, which is much newer. (I tried my best to punctuate that sentence and have no idea if I did it right.) I'm feeling really conflicted about this. I bought this movie so I could curl up on the couch with my fuzzy blanket and enjoy it. It's not the same watching a film upright in a rolly chair with the sound coming out of itty bitty speakers. There's a part of me that wants to return the dvd, but I won't because I've already seen it, and thus 'used' it, and returning it now would be stealing. (My parents worked hard to instill a good guilt instinct in me. I don't refrain from bad things because I might get caught, I do the right thing because it's right.) I will eventually get a new dvd player that the movie will probably play on, but I won't be able to use it in the way that I want to for probably another year. I would like to write a complaint letter, but where should I send it?

No comments: